Notes About Henry Elias Yerxa

Henry went to Alberta in 1932, but returned home that fall after harvesting was finished. He returned to Alberta in 1933 and remained there. He first worked as a farm labourer, then in sawmills and in a garage at Fairview AB.

He volunteered for the RCAF in December 1940. Trained as ground crew at Manning Pool, Brandon MB. Trained as Airplane Engine Mechanic at St. Thomas ON and at Claresholm AB. In the fall of 1943 he was sent to Vancouver BC for air training at University of BC. Next to Bomb and Gunning School at MacDonald MB then to Trois Riviers PQ for overseas duty.

Trained at RAF Operational Training School in England. Finally stationed at Elsham with the 103 Regiment RAF. He was a tail gunner in Lancaster Bombers.

When the war ended Henry was transferred back to the RCAF and returned to Canada in August 1945 and was discharged as Warrant Officer II. He remained in NB for a few months then returned to Alberta where he worked in a garage in Edmonton and Fairview AB.

Harry married in 1948. In 1959 he and his wife Mable homesteaded at Rocky Lane AB (Fort Vermilion Distict); both he and his wife received a half section. Later he bought more land to get the Boyer River as a boundary on the north. The homestead was then 750 acres with 300 acres under cultivation.

Rocky Lane is 35 miles from High River AB in the Peace River Country.