Hamilton was a farmer and Methodist in religion. He appears to have owned a farm in Greenville or Green Lake Settlement, now known as Green Road (probably his father’s, Isaac Yerxa’s farm. On August 14, 1852, the school trustees purchased a lot from Hamilton Yerxa for $5 on which to erect a school. The deed was signed by Edward Jacobs and John Hunter. At that date, Green Lake Settlement was in Woodstock Parish. Hamilton Yerxa was also a Justice of the Peace for Carleton County as he witnessed deeds 1860-1866 and other years, and also witnessed teachers’ school returns.
Hamilton Yerxa married Hannah Green, born 1819. She was Baptist in religion.