Carleton County is located in western New Brunswick adjoining the State of Maine and is partitioned by the Saint John River. The county was established from York County in 1832. Until 1850, Carleton County covered the area of the present day counties of Carleton, Victoria and Madawaska. Woodstock, the county seat, is located in the arable upper Saint John River Valley where potato growing is the main industry. Forest industries have played an important role in the county's economy since the pioneers discovered the dense forests and rafted timber to the ship builders at Saint John. Carleton County was named after Thomas Carleton, the first Governor of New Brunswick after New Brunswick separated from Nova Scotia in 1784. Thomas was the youngest brother of Sir Guy Carleton who served as Commander in Chief of British Forces in North America from 1782.
History and Location of Carleton County Parishes
|Aberdeen||1863||Created from Kent and a part of Brighton. Includes the settlement of Knowlesville.|
|Brighton||1830||Part of York County until 1831. Created from Wakefield and included Peel until 1859. Bounded by the County line in the south east, south by Northampton Parish, westerly by the Saint John River. North by the Aberdeen Parish. Knowlesville was in the Parish of Brighton until Aberdeen was created.|
|Kent||1821||Part of York County until 1831. Included Wicklow until 1833, Aberdeen until 1863, all of Victoria County until 1851, and Madawaska County until 1873. Bounded south by Peel and Aberdeen Parish. East and south east by Aberdeen Parish and the County Line. North by the county line with Victoria and west by the Saint John River. Settlements include Johnville and Bath.|
|Northampton||1786||Part of York County until 1831. It included Southampton until 1833. Bounded by the York County line in the south east. West by the Saint John River. The Parish of Wakefield is across the river. Brighton Parish is to the north.|
|Peel||1859||Created from Brighton. Bounded by Brighton parish in the south and south east, easterly by Aberdeen, west by the Saint John River and north by Kent.|
|Richmond||1853||Created from Woodstock. Bounded in the north by the Meduxnakeag River; and the South Branch Meduxnakeag River: easterly by Woodstock Parish: westerly by the State of Maine and southerly by the county line with York.|
|Simonds||1842||Created from part of Wakefield. Bounded east by the Saint John River, south by Wakefield, western boundary is the Wilmot and north by Wicklow. Settlements include Good, New Ireland, Williamston, McCafferty and Upper Presque Isle.|
|Wakefield||1803||Part of York County until 1831. Included Simonds Parish until 1842 and Brighton until1830. In the west it is bounded by the international border, south by Richmond and Woodstock Parishes, and east by the Saint John River.|
|Wicklow||1833||Set off from Kent. It is bounded by the River de Chute in the north (Victoria County); westerly by the State of Maine; east by the Saint John River, and south by the Parishes of Simonds and Wilmot. Florenceville is in this parish. On the Woodstock Parish side of the river.|
|Wilmot||1867||Created from Simonds. Bounded by Simonds Parish in the east, west by the international border and south by Wakefield Parish and north by Wicklow.|
|Woodstock||1786||Part of York County until 1831. Included Dumfies until 1833 and part of Richmond until 1853. North bounded by Wakefield, westerly by Richmond, south by Canterbury Parish, York County, east by the Saint John River.|
Bath: Village located in the Parish of Kent.
Benton:Located in the Parish of Woodstock 10 miles SW of Woodstock on the boundary with York County.
Beechwood: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Kent.
Biggar Ridge: In Aberdeen Parish located between the communities of Argle and Juniper originally the eastern part of the town of Foreston. The first settler in East Foreston was William Alfred Biggar, who arrived in 1870 from Smith Creek, Kings County, with his wife, the former Susan Harrington, and son. William Biggar was joined by his parents, John Biggar Sr. and the former Elizabeth Dobson, and his brothers Joshua Melbourne Biggar, and John Wesley Biggar between 1871 and 1872. By 1874, were Richard Mann, from Argyle, William F. Curtis, from Bangor, Maine, Thomas and William Emery - brothers from Williamstown, Daniel Hayden of PEI, and John & Samuel Huggard from Kings County had settled. Reference: History of Foreston by Herbert Neil Bradley co-writer, Jack Biggar.
Bloomfield: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Wilmot.
Bristol: Village. Located in the Parish of Kent.
Centreville: Located along the banks of the Presque Isle River in the Parish of Wilmot.
Debec: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Richmond located a few miles south of the midpoint between Woodstock to Houlton, Maine. Named for George DEBEC, settler 1835 and mill operator. CPR station in 1861, called Debec Station in 1869, when a second line was built from Woodstock to Houlton (Maine). Formerly named Blairs Mills for Andrew BLAIR, father of Premier A. G. BLAIR.. DebecBrook flows NE to Bulls Creek.
Florenceville: A village located in the Parish of Wicklow. It was originally called "Buttermilk Creek" and it was renamed in honour of Florence Nightingale. The head office of the world's largest french fry maker McCain Foods is based there overlooking the Saint John River.
Greenfield: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Wicklow. Settlers from Maugerville, Sunbury Co.NB arrived about 1827. Earlier settlers were John S. Kenney and his wife the former Sarah Crabtree, his father Stephen and his uncles John and Andrew Kenney. They had a maple sugar mill. Reference: Israel Kenny and His Descendants written in 1944, by E. W. Bell.
Glassville: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Aberdeen. The town of Glassville is named for the Rev. Charles Gordon Glass who was instrumental in bringing Scottish settlers to New Brunswick in the 1860's. He established Woodstock College.
Golden Ridge: Mountain. Near Knowleville, Aberdeen Parish.
Hartland: "Mouth of the Guimac" later named Hartland. The Becaguimac is a tributary that pours into the Saint John River at the upper end of the town of Hartland. In 1789, Frederick Dibblee supplied the Indian's with axes and they cleared some land where corn was planted where now the town of Hartland is located. Crops were poor so they moved on up the river to Madawaska mostly.
Holmesville: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Kent.
Jacksontown: Located in the Parish of Wakefield near a river. Founded in 1818, bringing together some of the Maugerville settlers, some Irish and some Loyalists. Named in honour of John Jackson. The Simonson family was also a prominent one in Jacksonville. Lieut. John Simonson was born in New York and came to New Brunswick in 1783, he died at Maugerville in 1816 and his wife moved to Jacksonville and lived there until she died in 1850. His eldest son John Ness Simonson, was born at Fort Howe on Feb. 11/1799.
Johnville: An Irish ecclesiastical settlement in the Parish of Kent, founded by Bishop Sweeney and served by the St John the Evangelist Church and the St Joseph Church at Bath. Unincorporated area.
Juniper: Unincorporated area located in the Parish of Aberdeen.
Knowlesville: Settled by immigrants from Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia in 1861. The head of the households were Alexander Campbell, David Campbell, Albert Cook, Rev. Cyril Doucette, Jeremiah Frost, John Gayton, Thomas Gayton, Morris Hobbs, Prince Kenny, Robert Ricker, Webster Simms, Thomas Spinney, Eleazer Wheaton, Jacob Whitehouse, Joseph Whitehouse and others. The community was named after the Baptist minister, Reverend Charles Knowles from Yarmouth County. (Corey) The community is located 6km east of Bristol and is located in the Parish of Aberdeen. The Story of Knowlesville by J.M. Corey includes bibliographical references.
Maplehurst: Unincorporated area.
Mapleton: Formerly called Skedaddle Ridge and it was first settled in 1864 by "skedaddlers" from Maine. Names associated with this area include Dav Brewer, Fisher, Hall, Wes Lawson, Long, Sarchfield, Jessie W. Tedford and others. A "skedaddler" was the Civil War term for deserter or draft dodger.
Richmond Corner: Located in the Parish of Richmond.
River De Chute: This unincorporated area is located in the north-western corner of Carleton Co. in Wicklow Parish.
Summerfield: Unincorporated area located in the Parish of Wicklow. A farming settlement.
Upper Woodstock: Location of the old Carleton County Courthouse built in 1833 was a stagecoach stop and seat of justice. Located in the Parish of Wookstock.
Victoria Corner: Unincorporated area.
Wakefield: Wakefield's first settlers were by name of Lawrence Wiltzey or Woolsey, George McKee, John Stanley, John Tompkins. Coming from Maugerville were Samuel Nevers, James York, Jonathan and Elishaw Shaw, Asa Kinney, Samuel Farley. Others were Arden Atkinson, Hillkiah Kearney,Anthony Baker Sr., Caleb Phillips, Jeremiah Hopkins, John Bradley, Johathan Giberson, William Orser and William Simpson. Later still, the following people moved up river, Upton, Atherton, Nevers, Estey, Rideout, Gallop, Hartt, Jewett, Larlee, Noble, Peabody, Plummer, Estabrooks, Perley, Palmer, Stickney, Hovey and Burpee.
Watson Settlement: Located nine miles west of Woodstock not far from the boundary with Maine.
Wicklow: Unincorporated area which is located in the Parish of Wicklow on the west side of the Saint John River across from Bath. Lea Howard Canam, operated the ferry from Wicklow to Bath before the new bridge went in at Florenceville.
Woodstock: County seat. Incorporated in 1856. Situated at the confluence of the Meduxnekeag and the Saint John River. Was settled by Loyalists in 1784 after the American Revolution.